Skip Ribbon Commands Skip to main content


Emergencies: Knowing what to do

Kittens are curious, playful and fearless: your new companion may make you deal with situations where it is going to be important to know what to do and what decision to make. Here are some pieces of advice to help you cope with the more common situations.

Dangers at home


Your kitten may suffer an injury: be hit by a car, bitten by a dog, or even fall out of a window. You should seek veterinary attention as soon as possible even if your kitten appears unharmed after an accident, as serious internal damage is still a possibility.


Being young, your kitten is especially susceptible to infectious diseases, especially of the stomach and intestines. Parasites, viruses or bacteria may cause vomiting and diarrhoea attacks. Seek veterinary attention if there are any changes to your kitten’s normal eating, toileting or behaviour patterns.


Never leave any kind of poison within reach of your kitten. If it swallows any poison, do not wait for the first signs to set in; take it straight to the veterinarian. Don’t forget to take the box or packaging with you as knowledge of the active ingredient can help the veterinarian to select the most appropriate treatment.

Be aware that some household plants like lilies can be toxic to kittens and cats. If you suspect your kitten has come into contact with any toxic plants seek immediate veterinary attention.

Insect bites/stings

Insect bites/stings cause swelling and occasionally an allergic reaction. This is usually seen as swelling of the paws or face, although internal swelling may also result in breathing difficulties. Take your kitten to see the veterinarian, who may administer a treatment to help settle the allergic reaction.

If you suspect your kitten has been bitten by a snake, do not try any treatments or tourniquets at home. Take it immediately to the veterinarian for assessment as the poison can cause serious symptoms quickly.



Do not leave your kitten in the car, especially in summer, as the inside temperature can reach high temperatures very quickly, causing acute dehydration and possibly fatal heat-stroke.

Signs of heat stroke may be meowing, losing balance and breathing quickly. It is best to take your cat straight to the veterinary clinic for treatment.